Many of my clients ask me concerning the big square box inside the center part of the house’s upper floor ceiling behind a set of self-closing louvers. It’s a complete house fan also it can either benefit house owners or make living conditions worse.
* Preferably mild climates with cooler and fewer humid nights
* Make use of it as long as the temperature and humidity outside is more favorable in comparison to the conditions indoors. If your air conditioning system has become operating in the daytime, and the temperature outside drops lower (although the humidity continues to be high), don’t turn the click for more info. The vent will suck all of the humid air in your air conditioned house
* The optimum time periods to use it might be, needless to say, early morning and evening
Should you suffer from allergies, it may not be a good idea to bring each of the pollution in to the house. The window screens will stop some of it, but whole house fans are extremely powerful and can make you sneeze more than ever before.
1. Prior to turn the fan on, open as many doors and windows as you possibly can, close fireplace damper and / or glass door, and shut the furnace / hot water heater room doors (when they are louver type, it won’t matter). The suction in the whole house fan (no less than with the highest speed) is so great, that without open windows / doors, it is going to draw air externally through any possible openings like, for example, in the chimney. When it is a fireplace chimney and you also don’t remove the ashes… well, it’s likely to be a mess. Should it be a hot water heater / furnace chimney, it may possibly blow from the pilots.
2. When things are ready, you may turn on the complete house fan and usually within the next few seconds you need to feel a lot of exterior air flowing around the house. Unless…
3. This part is incredibly important as opening the doors and windows – both really need to be balanced to work properly as a way to really take advantage of the whole house fan operation. The environment drawn through the whole house fan must be discharged throughout the attic vents for the exterior. Otherwise, pressure created inside the attic area can cause the atmosphere that was just pulled from the house to return with dust and insulation particles through any possible gaps from the attic wh0le and also the whole house fan itself.
Regular attic ventilation might not be enough to back up the Tumblr operation; you may need much more to hold everything that extra volume of air for the exterior. Along with the formula to calculate the sq footage of the attic vents expected to discharge that air is very easy. You just need the size of your entire rooms:
Example: your ceilings are 8′ high and you have four 10′ x 14′ rooms, one 15′ x 17′ room, and a 10′ x 3′ hallway (this is just a sample, calculate every one of the rooms in your home you feel ought to be covered)
10’x14’x8′ = 1120×4 = 4480
15’x17’x8′ = 2040
10’x3′ = 30
Total – 6550 cubic feet
Now you must to divide 6550 by 750, which equals 8.73 sq feet – here is the area of the required attic vents (them all combined – soffit, ridge, gable, etc.)
4. In the event the house you’re stepping into has got the whole house fan already installed, lets hope it was properly sized up for the purpose (there could be a tag on the unit itself), which would be to replace your house air within just a couple of minutes.
5. If you’re normally the one installing the complete house fan, consider 3 or 4 minutes as being an optimal time for that house air exchange. To accomplish this, you’d must divide your residence total air volume (6550 cubic feet from your sample) by 3 or 4 minutes. That will provide us with 1810 CFM / 1357.5 CFM (Cubic Feet a minute).
6. Yet another crucial thing: louvers from the Tumblr are not air tight and get no insulation placed onto their surface; they leak air in between the house and attic. I would personally highly recommend installing a whole house fan cover in attic area to prevent air drafts through the cold season – don’t forget to eliminate it prior to deciding to use the fan again.
Whole house fans are noisy and several people never utilize them, nonetheless they might benefit your wallet should you apply the above. There are actually currently other types of house ventilation systems available: they are more expensive (2 – three times) but very quiet, more efficient, and give air flow for prolonged periods of time.